Dec 3, 2006

Best Songs of 2006

Ah, its December already, where does the year go. I have been thinking about the year gone as the time flies by. I have been working on my favourite full length albums, which i hope to post on in a couple of weeks, but i thought i would write about my 10 favourite songs of the year gone past. I know its an almost impossible task, narrowing it down to ten, let alone omitting all those songs that i haven't heard, but here goes anyway, in no particular order, except the first one-

This Sentence Will Ruin/Save Your Life-Born Ruffians.
Insanely catchy, this Toronto trio have had me playing this song nonstop since i first heard it. It starts with the drums, crashing into the song, before giving way to Luke LaLonde yelps and howls. It will make you want to dance straight away, then before you know it, its all over and instantly you hit rewind.

Bleary Eyed-Annuals.
It starts with a guitar gently strumming, then joy sets in, adam baker starts singing and the pulse starts racing, so infectious, then at 2.13 the drums come in and the song goes up a notch.
"Green-leaf dawn implies something sweet in mind"

Hospital Beds-Cold War Kids.
The Piano intro just kills me every time i hear it, than Nathan starts wailing about and it sets the scene for a bluesy stomping killer song. Great combination of voice, guitar and piano.

Weekend-Aloha.
If you want to hear a perfect pop song listen to this one. Shimmering, intelligent pop with amazing heart and soul. What a killer hook, this band from Ohio just delivers in spades.

The Funeral-Band of Horses.
I just haven't tired of this song. Opens softly and slowly, then at 1.21 the guitars chime in and a song of melancholy that ultimately is uplifting will break your heart.
"I’m coming up only to hold you under I’m coming up only to show you wrong"

Postcards From Italy-Beirut.
Thank You Zach Condon. A charming glorious song, a total change of pace for me, but it sways and glides on the back of brass. Just simply beautiful.

Rise Up In the Dirt-Voxtrot.
Channelling the best of British pop, via Austin, this young Texan group show how to write a pop song that has everything a great song should contain. Sweet vocals, tight rhythm section and a killer chorus.

All Fires-Swan Lake.
Spencer Krug, can do no wrong, a heart wrenching song that encapsulates everything i think you need in a song, sparse but effective instrumentation, sublime vocals.
"All fires have to burn alive to live"

To Go Home-M. Ward.
M. Ward, Neko Case covering Daniel Johnston, enough said. Oh, one more thing he's touring here in January, heart pounding already.

Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings-Sunset Rubdown.
Pretty obvious but i cannot exclude greatness of this magnitude. This song is a journey of incredible depth, i think it will have the ability to resonate in 20 years.
"And if I fall into the drink,
I will say your name, before I sink.
So… don’t make a sound.
Don’t make a sound."

I realise there are tons of great songs that didn't make this list, but if you don't get something from these songs, then maybe we see the world in a different way. But I hope you enjoy.

10 Comments:

  • At December 04, 2006 , Blogger Y said...

    Not a bad list at all!

    Can definitely tell you are a fan of the slow build up :-)

     
  • At December 05, 2006 , Blogger Passion of the Weiss said...

    Shut up I am Dreaming....is the best song I've ever heard.No really it is. Im glad you included it as you and I will probably be the only two. It's my #1 song of the year for sure. You have good taste my friend.

     
  • At December 05, 2006 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    thanks for kind words, i truly believe it is the perfect ending to a sublime album, although i could easily have included many more Spencer moments in my list

     
  • At December 05, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "Hospital Beds - Cold War Kids"

    Such a powerful song!

     
  • At December 05, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Liking that list.

    Voxtrot make fun music, I'd really wish they'd stop making EPs and make a full-length album already. Either way, I hear of them having plans of possibly one for next year.

    I agree the way The Funeral builds up is quite something. It should be good to see them this Saturday.

     
  • At December 06, 2006 , Blogger Ian said...

    Good list, thanks for the M Ward track, I'd never heard any of his stuff before.

    Looking forward to your albums list.

     
  • At December 08, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Quality choices!

     
  • At December 08, 2006 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    thanks again for nice comments, thank you lawrence for the link

     
  • At December 09, 2006 , Blogger Rachel said...

    Solid list indeed and I can now hear why you recommended that Born Ruffians song, it definitely sparked my interest and I wonder what you think of the rest of their album...

    Have a fantastic time at the Band of Horses show this evening...I am jealous, missed them here ;-) The Funeral blows me away even after many, many listens. "Everything All The Time" is going on my year end list indeed.

    I also can't seem to get enough of Swan Lake's debut, especially All Fires.

    Love Voxtrot too! The end of the year “greats” of 2006 are a plenty.

    Great post.

     
  • At December 10, 2006 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    thanks a lot rachel, the rest of the born ruffians is really solid, only 5 other songs, but pure pop, will be good to see if they can progress from a promising start.
    band of horses were wonderful, funeral just floored everyone and wicked gil was my favourite, ben was in a great mood, very friendly guy.
    beast moans isn't available here yet, hope to pick it up on import before xmas

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home