Dec 20, 2006

Looking forward to 2007

As the year draws to a close and we look forward to Christmas, i thought it would be fun to check out what we have coming up in 2007. But first, I noticed Pitchfork Media produced their list of Top 50 Albums of 2006 today. I check in with Pitchfork every day, i find it a good source of news and i do enjoy their generally well written reviews. Sometimes they bash a band I like and they seem to dislike Bloggers, but on the whole they seem to get it right and if you don't agree with them, then hey it's just another opinion. On the whole i found myself nodding my head in agreement with their choices, except i expected to see Aloha and Final Fantasy. My only major issue is with the choice of "Silent Shout" as number one. I'll admit i don't own this album and I have only heard about half the tracks, but they did nothing for me, just cold, soulless, repetitive music. Maybe I'm wrong, can someone help me out?

So onto 2007, I think i will be catching up on records I missed this year and going to plenty of shows, but there are big releases on the horizon and here are some I'm excited for-

Wincing the Night Away- The Shins
Due for release in late January the masters of pop return for their third full length. They have a lot to live up after their first two shimmering releases but the reports seem good on this.
MP3: Phantom Limb.

Some Loud Thunder-Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Also due for release in late January, the wunderkids of 2005 return with their second effort, seemingly waiting for the backlash. I for one am rooting for them, I loved their first record, I admire their independent stance and I think Alec Ounsworth has and is a unique voice.
MP3: Underwater (You and Me)

Friend and Foe- Menomena
This is one I'm really excited about, this Portland, Oregon trio make unique music which is very hard to pin down. Due in January, I think this will give them a much bigger audience.
MP3: Wet and Rusting

All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone-Explosions in the Sky
This Austin, Texas quartet make music which just flattens me, their instrumental sounds are shattering and exciting, so a February release has me quivering already.
MP3: Welcome, Ghosts

Cassadaga- Bright Eyes
The Omaha prodigy returns in April with his first in two years, again another artist that some people seem to like taking a shot at, why do people enjoying hating?, this hopefully will see Conor continue to grow. Helped by M. Ward and Gillian Welch, I haven't heard a track yet.

Drums And Guns- Low
Dave Fridmann is back to produce the Minnesota natives eighth full length. Again i haven't heard anything but Sub Pop say it will satisfy Low fans.

???????????-Voxtrot
I shouldn't include this but the very thought of a debut full length Voxtrot album just has me spinning. Apparently they are recording now and hopefully will have something out in 2007.
This track is just a demo version they are hosting and probably won't be included on the album.
MP3: Sway

Neon Bible- The Arcade Fire
How do you possibly follow up "Funeral", an absolute all time classic. Well let's hope the Montreal giants can do it. The weight of expectation will be huge, but I have everything crossed that they can deliver the goods. The first sneak preview track has my seal of approval.
MP3: Intervention

  • So there is plenty to look forward to, plus there are new albums on the horizon from Bloc Party, Of Montreal, Deerhoof, Calla, RJD2, Andrew Bird, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, amongst others. Also newies from Spoon, Wilco and Wolf Parade are rumoured. What have you heard or are excited about coming out?

5 Comments:

  • At December 20, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Radiohead!

     
  • At December 21, 2006 , Blogger Osmond said...

    Air's new album.

    A probable batch of new Ryan Adams albums.

    The new Nick Cave project Grinderman.

     
  • At December 21, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    cant wait for the new RJD2.. i wonder how its going to turn out, him being on a new label and all "XL recordings" instead of DefJux.

    http://morecowbell.net/2006/10/31/rjd2-new-album-news/

     
  • At December 21, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really hope that Beirut, Grizzly Bear and Wolf Parade visit our shores soon. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

     
  • At December 21, 2006 , Blogger James said...

    Radiohead definitely, the final mix Bloc Party, The Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes and a new Ryan Adams. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but there's bound to be some new hot bands to emerge.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home