May 20, 2007

The Reminder-Feist

Surprises are always nice. I own "Let It Die", Feist's last release and naturally "Mushaboom" was an irresistible slice of pop goodness but the rest of the album didn't take a hold on me. So I wasn't in a rush to buy her just released third album "The Reminder". But after reading so many positive reviews I took the plunge and purchased it. I am glad I did. It is a beautifully realised album full of beauty, soul and grace. Plus there is quite a variety of music on show, from slow burning torch songs to danceable pop tunes to tracks that are jazz or country in nature. All held together by the constant of Leslie Feist's gorgeous, smoky vocals. The Canadian songstress recorded this album in France where she has lived for the last 4 years, although I believe she recently moved back to Toronto. She is helped by a cast of thousands, including her Broken Social Scene mates Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning. But she is no mere chanteuse, playing many of the guitar parts herself.

A slow, pretty song "So Sorry" is a nice intro before one of my favourite tracks appears. "I Feel It All" is a jaunty, swinging number which is a great showcase for Ms. Feist's wonderful vocals, which leads into the single "My Moon My Man" which is downright irresistible. This song also shows that Feist's Indie rock roots still come through with its gorgeous guitar lines. At the end of this song you hear a twittering of birds which carries over into the next song "The Park", my centrepiece. This stunning song wouldn't be out of place on a Cat Power record, all aching beauty and heartfelt emotion. The rest of the album continues to delight in other ways. The Nina Simone song "Sea Lion Woman" packs a punch, "1 2 3 4" should be a number one single everywhere with its gorgeous horns and closer "How My Heart Behaves" is simply haunting.
This is an album that suit many occasions, great for danceable pop tunes and absolutely perfect as a late night listen to lie back and let it flow over you.

MP3: The Park
MP3: My Moon My Man

4 Comments:

  • At May 20, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I absolutely love this album.

     
  • At May 21, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Mike your not the only one.

    Her voice is smokin' Wayne - its so sedective. "how my heart behaves" is definitely haunting but beautiful too! aahh, i love feist but you prob already knew that.

     
  • At May 21, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    a lovely album indeed, wayne. i love the production on this record...the instrumentation is mixed so well with a sense of space.

    and she's dating kevin drew now. this could be bad if they every break up.

     
  • At June 04, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Amazing album :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home