Dec 6, 2007

Best Live Shows of 2007


This was it. This was my moment in 2007. A night I will never forget. In a year of many great live experiences this one stood at the top of the mountain. I travelled all the way to Ontario, Canada to see Wolf Parade at the Wolfe Island Music Festival. And it was burned into my memory. However I enjoyed many great live shows through out the year and I still have Dr Dog, Black Lips and Jose Gonzalez to come. But these are the top 20 live experiences I enjoyed this year. They were all great in their own way. Most of them were in Sydney, except for a few that I enjoyed on my overseas jaunt this year. They all had two things in common. Great music and great audiences. At all of these shows the crowds were attentive and appreciative. Incredible music enjoyed by grateful fans. I have provided a link to my original review, with a quick line to sum up each show. Let's hope 2008 has greatness in store. What was your live highlight in 2007?

1. Wolf Parade @ Wolfe Island Music Festival, Ontario, Canada
It wasn't the longest show I saw in 2007. It was full of new material. I was tired and sunburnt. The band was a little rusty. But this was friggin' Wolf Parade. Spencer and Dan. Musical genius.
This band will own 2008. Monumental. Here is evidence.



2. The Mountain Goats @ The Metro Theatre
John Darnielle is THE most giving, generous performer I have ever seen. He is universal. Game Shows May Touch Our Lives, John you touched mine.
3. Wilco @ Enmore Theatre
A truly great band in full flight. Have never sounded better. Just sublime.
4. M. Ward @ The Famous Spiegeltent
A magical night in a magical setting. That smoky voice was close to perfect.
5. Neko Case @ The Annandale Hotel
Neko, I love you. You are class with a capital C. Perfect voice and night.
6. M. Ward @ The Metro Theatre
My first dose of Mr Ward. With full band he rocked and entertained all night.
7. Horse Feathers @ Pickathon Festival, Oregon, USA
Sitting on a cement floor in a barn. I cried with joy, just exquisite.
8. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah @ Enmore Theatre
These guys are way beyond the hype. Great songs made for a great night.
9. The Dears @ Playground Weekender Festival
Under a starlit sky with only a few people left, this band played with uncommon passion.
10. Joanna Newsom/Bill Callahan/Andrew Bird @ NIDA Theatre
3 unique talents made for a unique night. And I met someone special.
11. Andrew Bird @ The Basement
He is a genius. End of story.
12. Bill Callahan @ The Factory Theatre
A man of immense talent played an extraordinary show. WITH STRINGS!
13. Patty Griffin @ Clarendon Guest House
What an amazing voice. What a gracious and generous performer.
14. Silversun Pickups @ The Annandale Hotel
Sweaty, raucous, exciting. Just pure passion and fun.
15. Born Ruffians @ Wolfe Island Music Festival, Ontario, Canada
3 young men making rocking, exciting noise.
16. The Winks @ La Sala Rossa, Montreal, Canada
Enchanting, magical and ethereal. And so was the venue.
17. Calexico @ The Basement
Superb musicians playing with obvious heart and soul.
18. Po'Girl @ Pickathon Festival, Oregon, USA
Sitting in an old farm house listening to pure gold. Charming and delightful.
19. Cold War Kids @ The Forum
These guys are here to stay. Soul and fiery passion.
20. The Paper Scissors @ Spectrum
Australia's best live band. They truly are.

2 Comments:

  • At December 18, 2007 , Blogger Divinyl said...

    Ah...after e-mailing you to say that I didn't think your comment form was working, I figured out that I had an extra step and needed to click on the 'post a comment' header! Silly me!

    Anyway, what I wanted to say was how jealous I am...you've seen some awesome stuff this year! I, too, saw Neko Case, who was excellent, and Sofia (the newer project of Po'Girl's Alison Russell). I think the very best gig I saw this year had to be Patti Smith...amazing! Although Laura Veirs and Sam Baker were up there too, as was meeting Sunny Sweeney. I may just compile a similar list!

    Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays :o)

     
  • At January 01, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    best live city....
    http://sergica.miniville.fr/

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home