Feb 24, 2008

And In a Week of Looming Greatness, One Band Stood Above the Rest...Okkervil River



The Black Cab Sessions are a wonderful idea. One artist, one song, one take. In one cab. This is Okkervil River last September, performing the Big Star song "Big Black Car". I think Will Sheff must have a thing for Big Star, as they previously recorded "O, Dana" for their last Australian tour EP. Which leads me to this. This upcoming week is another smorgasboard of madness. In four successive nights I will be seeing Stars, Okkervil River, Broken Social Scene and Feist. I am terribly excited by all of these artists, but Okkervil River is definitely numero uno. I have seen them twice before, but I am even more excited for their Manning Bar show this week. In my previous post I extolled the songwriting talents of Dan Bejar. Well I regard Will Sheff just as highly. The man has it all. Songs of great feeling and melody. Achingly real lyrics, and that voice. Oh, that voice. Not exactly a pitch perfect voice, it is however a voice of incredible passion and earthiness. He makes you feel each and every note. As if he wrote the song just for you. So, I can't wait for this week. And I get to see all these artists again, and more, at the Laneway Festival on Sunday.

If you are not a member of the Okkervil River congregation yet, maybe these will help you. And you can still buy tickets for Wednesday!!!
MP3: The Velocity of Saul at The Time of His Conversion

7 Comments:

  • At February 24, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have a feeling my tummy butterflies about seeing Okkervil River will only get worse between now and Wednesday night. Not that I'm not excited about the other shows next week. Will Sheff owns a piece of my heart is all.

     
  • At February 25, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the intro to OR, have heard nothing but positive stuff about but hadn't actually heard their music.

    You make me feel like a real dilletante with your four gigs in one week.

    I saw Stars whilst I was living in Canada, really dig them, their newest CD is on my shopping list.

    Enjoy your week mate.

     
  • At February 26, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

    any idea on who is supporting them at Manning?

     
  • At February 26, 2008 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    I believe the support is Via Tania

     
  • At February 26, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi wayne
    i've been lucky enough to get a photo pass for this show.. i'll be there early so come and say hi!

     
  • At February 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Saw Okkervil River at The Corner last night. Best live gig I've ever been to, they were magical. Highlight was 'A Stone' - held my breath through most of the song and actually had a tear in my eye at one point! If you haven't seen them yet, make sure you catch them next time they're in your area. Well worth it! You can read a review of the gig at The Corner here.
    http://itallstarted.wordpress.com
    Looking forward to reading about your Okkervil experience too!

     
  • At February 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Guess there's a reason you should preview your comment before you read it...I know you're already seeing Okkervil Wayne, so I guess I was talking to your readers as well as you in my earlier comment!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home