May 16, 2008

Robert Rauschenberg (1925-2008)

A giant left us this week. I was saddened to hear the news that Robert Rauschenberg passed away at his home in Florida on Monday from heart failure. He was 82. Rauchenberg was famous and quite revolutionary for his work in the field of Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art. Born in Texas, he moved to New York in the 1950s where his fame spread in the art world. He also worked with photography, printmaking and papermaking. He was famous for creating art from trash found on the streets of New York. To quote the artist " I wanted something other than what I could make myself and I wanted to use the surprise and the collectiveness and the generosity of finding surprises. And if it wasn't a surprise at first, by the time I got through with it, it was. So the object itself was changed by its context and therefore it became a new things". He might have left us, but his art will endure forever.



1 Comments:

  • At May 20, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thanks for writing about Rauschenberg and posting some of his work. He leaves the legacy of a spectacular, inspirational oeuvre and provoking ideas about the art world itself. His death saddens me as well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home