Jan 16, 2009

2009: Looking Forward; Or The Year of Animal Collective

The future. So exciting. Returning favourites. New discoveries. Disappointments. Surprises. Well, this next week will see the first big releases of 2009 hit the shelves. Seemingly all starting with A, with Animal Collective staring down from above. The four have become three, but their talent level is not going down. In fact, some pundits are suggesting this is their best work. I'm not sure about that, but I have no doubt that their new album is a spectacular success. So, here are a few things I am looking forward to in 2009.

Merriweather Post Pavilion-Animal Collective
Once again this excellent band of men have astounded us. I have been listening to this bliss constantly since the leak happened a couple of weeks ago. Today, I bought the CD. I love it. It's a kiss of sunshine, a shower of love. Their most pop like record is pretty damn great. I still think "Feels" is their epic work, but this will do. Muchly.

MP3: Brother Sport (live)

Noble Beast-Andrew Bird
This one leaked a while ago. I haven't had the chance to give it a big listen yet. But of what I have heard I can surmise this. It's very good. However, I need a lot more time to give it a proper evaluation.

MP3: Oh No

Blood Bank-Bon Iver
I am so excited to see this wonderful artist next week. As a special treat, we have a brand new 4 song EP being released next week. The songs sound superb. Hopefully we will have a new album sometime in the next 12 months.

MP3: Blood Bank

Get Guilty-A.C. Newman
I jumped all over this one when it leaked too. I love it. The first three songs are just killer. Beautiful melodies, great vocals. And the rest of the album is pretty good too. I recommend this release highly.

MP3: Submarines Of Stockholm

Skin Of Evil-Blackout Beach
Get this album. It is astounding. I ordered it from the label and received it a couple of weeks early. Stunning, heart wrenching. A powerhouse. So unique.

MP3: Cloud Of Evil

The Mountain-Heartless Bastards
I loved their last album. Robust, strong, meaty rock. With amazing vocals. The first song I have heard from the album sounds pretty good. So I look forward to getting the album upon its release in February.

MP3: The Mountain

Hold Time-M. Ward
I have listened to a few tracks of Mr Ward's new album. Out in February. No drastic changes here, just more Ward goodness. Soulful and direct.

MP3: Never Had Nobody Like You

To Willie-Phosphorescent
Willie Nelson covers? I actually find Willie Nelson's voice to be very annoying. However I go anywhere where Matthew Houck goes. So, I go.

MP3: Reasons To Quit

Middle Cyclone-Neko Case
I think I wrote about this. I think I love her. No, I know I love her.

MP3: People Got A Lotta Nerve

Face Control-Handsome Furs
The love affair continues. Dan, you got me. This is just brilliant. If you have a copy now, make sure you buy it when it is released in March. This album is just pure joy and excitement. "Plague Park" was a statement of truth. This is four more layers on top. Much more, danceable shall I say. The electronic patterns are heavier and Dan has never sung better. Alexei and Dan have created a piece of ecstasy for all the world to enjoy.

MP3: I'm Confused

S/T-Elvis Perkins In Dearland
I wrote about this a couple of days and now I have a song to post. If this is any indication of the quality of the album, then we are in for a treat.

MP3: Shampoo

Hospice-The Antlers
Well and truly on their bandwagon. I am very excited by the prospect of this self released album, due in March. The two songs given to the internet are just wonderful.

MP3: Two

Beware-Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
It's Will Oldham people. Will friggin' Oldham.

Enemy Mine-Swan Lake
It's Dan Bejar, Spencer Krug, Carey Mercer. Could I be any more excited?

The Hazards of Love-The Decemberists
Is this band about to jump the shark? "The Crane Wife" was great, but I wonder if bands can sustain greatness on a major label. Well, Pitchfork debuted the first slice from the new album today. Wow! It's truly great. I love it. Expectations are high again.

MP3: The Rake's Song

Now We Can See-The Thermals
Now on Kill Rock Stars and with a new drummer, let's hope for more fiery and passionate music from this Portland trio. April, we await.

3 Comments:

  • At January 17, 2009 , Blogger James said...

    I just can't get into Animal Collective. There's something unapproachable about their material. (the lack of lush harmonies and hooks perhaps?) That or I just haven't given it enough listens yet.

     
  • At January 17, 2009 , Blogger David Reimer said...

    That is one scary optical experience at the top of this post. It just keeps ... moving ... oozing ... shifting ... writhing ... (o.k., maybe I'm getting carried away!).

    8^)

     
  • At January 19, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just finished my first listen to MPP. Im not completely blown away. In the flowers and Summertime Clothes defnitely jump out at me but it might take a few more listens until i can form a proper opinion. I too am very much looking forward to the antlers.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home