Jul 31, 2009

Doves @ Metro Theatre

So, a Doves concert for me was going to be a journey into unknown territories. Perhaps unknown pleasures. Of course I was somewhat familiar with the Mancunian trio. I have heard the odd song through the years, whilst the band picked up acclaim and kudos. But until this year I didn't actually own an album of theirs and what I had heard wasn't exactly stoking my fire. But my girl is a big fan and so we trekked to the Metro Theatre on Thursday night for a sold out show, the band's first visit to these shores in 5 years. What did I find? I found a band that exuded professionalism. A band that created their sound in an impressive manner. In the end I enjoyed the night. It didn't change my life, but I left with a greater appreciation of the band's talents.

As stated, I do now own the band's latest release in the shape of "Kingdom of Rust". I have been giving it a spin lately and I do like it. Again, not love, but there are a few songs that I have quite enjoyed. Because of this fact I actually enjoyed the newer songs that the band decided to play. Such as "Jetstream", which opened the night. It's a good starter and seemed to get every one in the mood for a good night. Other new songs that I enjoyed included "Winter Hill", "The Outsiders" and the title track of the album in "Kingdom of Rust". When it came to the older tunes, I struggled a bit. Unfamiliarity doesn't always help when you are at a gig, but my favourite was probably "Pounding". Appropriately named, this song drives with real power. It also displays the band's greatest strength. A really strong rhythm section. Jimi Goodwin's bass acts as a lead instrument, which is strengthened by the drumming of Andy Williams. If you add the lead guitar of Jez Williams to the mix you end up with a pretty strong concoction. The band certainly performs well as a tight and efficient unit. My main reason for not totally connecting with the music at times is a lack of true melody. Quite a few of their songs don't soar to any great heights, nor do they contain any great peaks or valleys. I like songs with a bit more variation, a bit more light and dark. Now that might be coming from a Doves novice, but that's how I am calling it. However, I did enjoy the night. There was enough good music, played expertly, on display to make it a worthwhile and enjoyable night.

Set List (I pinched this from Sean)
Jetstream
Snowden
Winter Hill
Pounding
Almost Forgot Myself
10:03
Words
The Greatest Denier
Ambition
Kingdom Of Rust
Black And White Town
The Outsiders
The Cedar Room

Firesuite
Here It Comes
Last Broadcast
There Goes The Fear

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home