Jan 24, 2013

Vampire Weekend @ Metro Theatre


Oh Vampire Weekend, why did I ever doubt you? This was my first time seeing the New York popsters and it definitely won't be my last. It would be hard to find a more fun filled show than last night at the Metro Theatre. When they first appeared on the scene I didn't really buy the hype. Sure, their songs were sweet and catchy but for some reason I didn't fall in love with them. Then "Horchata" came along on album two and I DID fall in love. "Contra" was a great album, full of gorgeous melodies and insane hooks. I went back to the debut album and I started to appreciate the band more. The lyrics were more complex then I had thought, the music more complex then I had originally surmised. Songs that were seemingly light and poppy had incredible staying power. I wasn't growing tired of them. So much so that I promised myself that the next time the band came through town I wouldn't miss out. Promise kept. Happiness won.

A sold out crowd was enthralled and enraptured from start to finish. Bouncing on stage to some ASAP Rocky the band soon tore into "Cousins" and we were off on a joy ride of music. Each song is basically recognisable from the opening chord and each time the audience screamed with delight. "White Sky" was an early highlight, as was fan favourite "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa". "Run" was a hoot, whilst I would have to say that "A-Punk" probably received the biggest cheer of the night. We also received two new songs in "Unbelievers" and "Arms", which both sounded great and should be included on the new album due out in May. "I Think Ur A Contra" proved a nice change of pace mid show, before we charged into an ecstatic finish of "Oxford Comma" and "Giving Up The Gun". The encore proved a victory lap culminating in the traditional closer of "Walcott". I think everyone in the venue was singing along. It was such a great crowd. Smiles were bursting out all night. People were just so happy. Singing and dancing and such, such joy. Vampire Weekend hose down and dispatch cynicism. Their melodies are so infectious and unique. Percussion is amazing. It's quite an experience. They make people happy. What a gift that is.

Set List
Cousins
White Sky
Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
M79
Run
Holiday
California English
A-Punk
Unbelievers (new song)
I Think Ur A Contra
I Stand Corrected
Horchata
Arms (new song)
Diplomat's Son
Campus
Oxford Comma
Giving Up The Gun

One (Blake's Got A New Face)
Mansard Roof
Walcott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home