Feb 18, 2013

I'll Be Your Mirror Melbourne (Curated By ATP)

One word was enough. Well, more specifically four words and an explanation mark. Six months ago it was announced that All Tomorrow's Parties would be returning to Melbourne. And on the lineup was the iconic and legendary Godspeed You! Black Emperor. They would appear on the first day curated by ATP. That was enough. Day Two was to be curated by The Drones, but no never mind, it was all about Day One. In fact, if that Montreal giant wasn't on the lineup I probably would not have made the trek to Melbourne. But I'm glad I did. For, despite the heat, it was a great day. Held in the suburban surrounds of Altona in western Melbourne the venue was slightly surreal. The Westgate Entertainment Centre and Grand Star Receptions is pretty much what it sounds like. A sprawling complex of dated reception rooms and indoor sporting facilities. It was all slightly odd, but it worked. We didn't have any problems getting there and back and not too many queues formed during the day. There were two main stages and sight lines were mostly pretty good. It was, as said, a hot day but it was bearable as long as you kept liquidated. It was loud though and intense. You needed staying power. But I managed. I even managed to take in most of Swans, who bring a huge amount of intensity but not much else in my opinion. But it was an enjoyable day. Enough to hope that ATP returns again soon to Australia. Hopefully Sydney!

Thee Oh Sees were on pretty early in the day, but their enormous energy was so much fun. All their songs are supercharged and frenetic. Lead man John Dwyer hugs his guitar tightly under his arms and leads the band to join in the fun. An extremely tight rhythm section aids songs that are more complex than you probably think. Right now I wish I had attended their Sydney sideshow.

The only slight disappointment of Godspeed You! Black Emperor was the fact that their set was basically the same as the one two nights earlier in Sydney. Actually it was the same except for dropping one song. But again they were beyond greatness. In some ways reliving these songs again live maybe only added to the experience. Intricate, complex, stunning. Superlatives flow with ease. Plus, the girl was with me this time and even though she isn't the biggest fan I think she still came away suitably impressed.

Set List
Hope Drone
Mladic
Moya
Chart #3
World Police and Friendly Fire
Behemoth

In my opinion My Bloody Valentine suffered from having to follow Godspeed You! Black Emperor. No one. No one should have to go through that. The comparison will never be favourable. Having said that I have never been the biggest fan. I appreciate the layers of guitars, but I find a lot of their songs lack melody and song craft. Also I was expecting, by reputation, them to be ear piercingly loud. Which they weren't. But I did enjoy them somewhat. Especially the opening two songs in "I Only Said" and "When You Sleep". But by all accounts they only played one song off their newly released self titled album. Which I found a little surprising. Maybe, as I was told later, they are better on headphones in your bedroom rather than on the live stage.

Set List
I Only Said
When You Sleep
New You
You Never Should
Honey Power
Cigarette in Your Bed
Come in Alone
Only Shallow
Thorn
Nothing Much to Lose
To Here Knows When
Slow
Soon
Feed Me With Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise

3 Comments:

  • At February 18, 2013 , Blogger Neverbrokenbones said...

    did you leave before the end of mbv? the set got progressively louder until it hit 130db for the 15 min "holocaust section" of "you made me realise." Also, as much as I respect your opinion, liked this review for the most part, and concede that it's all subjective anyway, not melodic? really?

     
  • At February 19, 2013 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    Yes, my bad, I did leave before the end. Tired mind and body I think. I did wonder if it would get louder. And I take your point about melody. I guess a better way of putting it is that their melodies don't suit my ear. I hope you enjoyed the day.

     
  • At July 26, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks for sharing such a sweet post.

    Reception Venues Melbourne

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home