Mar 8, 2015

The Felice Brothers @ Newtown Social Club

Over the last decade or so I have come to listen to a lot of American music. Most of the time it is my go to point when I listen to music. Which is naturally on a daily basis. There are probably many reasons. Foremost it is because of the quality. But probably the most important reason is an emotional one. American music fits my mindset and fills my heart. The traditions of folk and country and rock hit the hardest. For my listening ear, and this has to be totally subjective, it's the heartfelt lyric, the guitar lick, the violin plucked that make the happiest and the most nourished. The Felice Brothers tick all the boxes. I really hate that expression but it will do nicely here. Now they might not be the most talented band going, although they are pretty talented. But they reek honesty. They are filled with an authenticity that few match. And the best part when you see them live, as I did Saturday night at the Newtown Social Club, they give 100 per cent. Totally.

They also have a large catalogue and they mine it thoroughly. And they all sing, although Ian Felice is the main man. But it's a total team effort, which produces a great show. Guaranteed. I won't go deep into the highlights. But the show was worth it one three counts alone. The back to back stark beauty of "Omie Wise" and "Ruby Mae". James Felice leading the enthusiastic crowd on a sing along of "Whiskey In My Whiskey". Closing the show with a burning cover of the spitfire Neil Young song "Rockin' In The Free World". American Music! Have to love it!

Set List
Meadow Of A Dream
Saturday Night
Cherry Licorice
Dead Dog
Silver In The Shadow
Lion
Whiskey In My Whiskey
Honda Civic
The Big Surprise
Love Me Tenderly
Omie Wise (Doc Watson cover)
Ruby Mae
Frankie's Gun
Cus's Catskill Gym
Got What I Need
White Limo
Penn Station
Marie
The Mating of the Doves

Run Chicken Run
Lincoln Continental
Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young cover)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home